Here is an extremely simple way to track and recover your lost mobile phone. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Your Name (and the registered name of lost mobile phone’s owner, in case if both are different)
- Your address
- Phone number (mention the number that the lost mobile phone had and any other working phone number in order to reach you)
- Phone make and Model (for example, Nokia 5530)
- Last called number (as far as you can recall)
- Your email ID
- The IMEI number of the lost mobile
The IMEI is a Unique 15 digit number that every original mobile should have and can be found out by dialling *#06#. It is always advised to write down the IMEI number safely some where immediately after you buy a new phone.
In case you didn’t make a note of it before and now that you lost your mobile, search for the ‘Mobile Bill’ or Receipt that you may have received when you purchased the Mobile Phone. If you’re lucky enough, the Bill should contain the IMEI number of the mobile along with the battery and charger number. Though I’m not sure about third party dealers like The Mobile Store, UniverCell etc, but if purchased the Mobile from the Manufacturer or its sales/service centres directly, like Nokia Care/Priority centres, you will have these numbers in your Bill.
IMEI is the first thing that the ‘cops’ look for to trace a lost mobile without which it is virtually impossible to track, unless your mobile is really ‘Smart’ and has GPS.
Other alternatives include blocking the Sim services temporarily by calling your Operator, though you won’t be able to recover your mobile this way.