Happy Independence Day to every one
Here are few facts about India collected from various sources that should make you feel proud of our Nation:
- India as a country never invaded any other country in recorded history.
- People from Sri Lanka in the South, Bangladesh in the East, Nepal and Tibet in the North east, Pakistan and Afghanistan in the North West flee to India due to political and religious tensions. We accept them and take great care of them. His Holiness, the Dalai Lama of Tibet is the best example.
- Indian Railways is the Single largest commercial employer in the world with more than 1.6 million (16 lakhs) employees.
- Unity in Diversity is our greatest strength. Read these articles about Languages and Religions in India.
- Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism, the four religions that are originated from India are represented by 25% of world’s population.
- India was one of the richest country’s in the World till the British invaded our country in the 17th century. And until 1896, India was the only source of Diamonds to the world.
- The first ever University in the World was established in Takshila in 700BC. More than 10500 students from all over the world came and studied more than 60 subjects. Even now, India is the country that has the highest number of Universities than any country in the world.
- Chess, Karate, Martial arts, Yoga, Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, place value system, decimal system, pi, number system (including ‘zero’) originated from India
- Sushruta is considered as the father of surgery. As early as in 17th century, Sushruta performed surgeries for cataract, plastic surgery, fractures, urinary stores etc. Not to mention, Ayurveda, is a gift to the world by India. Charaka who is considered as the father of Medicine introduced Ayurveda nearly 2500 years ago.
- Lord ventateswara temple in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh is the single largest pilgrimage destination in the world. As many as 2 lakh people take the darshan of the almighty every day. On festival occasions, this number goes up to 7 lakhs. On an average, about Rs.70 lakhs is the daily revenue of the temple apart from the precious stones and Gold that appear occasionally in the Hundi.
- Indus valley civilization is the first modern form of civilization ever found in the world. It is said the Bathrooms were first build in India around this period (5000 years ago)
- India produces the highest number of movies every years, almost double the number of movies produced in Hollywood
- Don’t even compare USA with India ever. Independent USA is 224 years old while Independent India is just 63.
And finally couple of fun facts, albeit, with nothing to be proud of 🙂
- If you missed an earlier post about Population, read Indian Population facts
- It is officially allowed to marry a Dog in India.